shar dubey: Match Group will accelerate the launch of dating app in India, says CEO Shar Dubey

Chennai: Match Group will respond to a recent ramp-up of one of its dating apps in India and accelerate its launch in the country, its leader said.

The organic traction of its dating app Hinge is exceptionally strong in a number of untapped international markets and it has huge potential globally, the company said.

“Hinge’s growth trajectory is on track as we expected,” said Match Group Chief Executive Shar Dubey.

“We have seen a recent increase in bio-traction in India without any localization. So, we want to respond to those kinds of positive signals, and we’re accelerating our launch in India because we’ve always thought that’s quite an interesting and attractive market for a high-intent app,” Dubey told reporters. analysts during its post-results. call Wednesday.

She added that much of the international contribution – at least from a revenue perspective – will likely occur this year.

The app is set to launch in its first non-English language market, Germany, in the second quarter.

Discover the stories that interest you



The dating app company reported revenue of $799 million in the March quarter, up from $668 million a year earlier, but missed analysts’ estimates.

Dubey is stepping down as chief effective May 31. Bernard Kim, president of social video game services company Zynga, will take over as CEO, the company announced.

Kim has been pivotal “in expanding the company into new markets such as blockchain and hyper-casual gaming”, and helped Zynga expand into new platforms including Snapchat and the Nintendo’s Switch console, the company said.

Match also said its second-quarter growth outlook assumes it will implement Google’s payment system policy change that will take effect June 1.

The impact of this change would be approximately $6 million per month and so for the seven months beginning June 1 the total would be approximately $42 million in addition to the approximately $100 million that Match Group is expected to already pay to Google.

“We are currently evaluating our legal and other options to avoid the significant disruptive effect their policy change will have on our consumers,” Gary Swidler, chief operating officer and chief financial officer, said on the earnings call.

In March, the Google-owned Android mobile operating system said it was piloting a program in which it would partner with developers to explore different implementations of user-choice billing, starting with Spotify.

He said the decision to start user-choice billing in select countries was to build on his recent launch to enable an additional billing system alongside Play Store billing for users in South Korea. which recently banned “the act of forcing a payment method specific to a mobile content provider.”

“They chose to allow an exception to their policy to just one company, Spotify, because it served their purposes with European regulators and allowed them to take a cut of the Spotify subscription fee, which they don’t. hadn’t been able to do before.. But in our case, they were determined to remove our ability to provide user choice,” Swidler added.

He even hinted that he was going the legal route, alluding to the fact that Epic Games filed a lawsuit against Google last week.

“We see this as a last resort, not something we take lightly. But at the same time, time is running out towards the June 1 deadline, and we must do our best to protect our consumers’ choice, as well as our business,” Swidler said.

He hopes, however, that global regulators will force Google’s hand and ask it to change its policy.

He said the Digital Markets Act (DMA) in Europe, which affects the entire European Union, will ban mandatory IAP (In-App Purchase).

About Donald J. Beadle

Check Also

New Profile Pic app: Does Russia collect personal data from Facebook users?

It’s a new internet craze that turns your Facebook profile picture into a painting or …